Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Book : The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Paperback : 313 Pages
Publisher: Dutton Books

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

I started this story out of the blue two days ago. I haven't read its summary. I didn't know what I should expect next. That is not typical me. I really want to have an idea beforehand. 

The first pages of the story were really strong and I was captivated. What can you say about a realistic story of teenagers who have cancer? You cannot say much. Mostly because you cannot understand how they feel. And that is the best of this story. For once we get an idea / glimpse how those persons feel, their fears and all those negative emotions that linger around them.

I laughed in some places, I got teary into others, but when I finished the last chapter I had this feeling of reading something that mattered. No, matters to me dearly. It is too early to put it into words at the moment but that is true. ( I finished the book three hours ago.)

Those who read my reviews, know that I don't like to reveal things from the plot. It is beautiful written. Mr Green is a very talented author. I felt that every word he used was needed. I was impressed by his usage of words that we don't usually read in the genre. I am not familiar with his other work, but I will definitely read another story of his.

I highly recommend you to read it when you are in a such state of mind, where you won't stop reading it due to its theme. I have to warn you though. Even if, you are not in that state, you will want to know what happens next...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...